A team of amazing entrepreneurs from Ontario, Canada, have brought the world closer to their vision of the mobile web: Kik. Whether you want to continue browsing the web while chatting with your friends or you want to be able to talk with friends anywhere, Kik is the app for you.
The Kik team is proud of their app for three key reasons: Fast, Simple and Personal.
- Fast: No other messaging app is as fast, smooth and reliable as Kik, and registered users receive notifications when their messages are sent, delivered and opened.
- Simple: Kik is the “ultimate in sophistication” and is the “easiest, most beautiful way to send messages” to your friends.
- Personal: By using usernames, instead of phone numbers, Kik ensures the most personal of messaging experiences, as your username becomes your identity, and you are therefore in complete control of who you are communicating with, as well as your privacy.
Because users can continue to browse the Internet while communicating with their friends, they can not only share photos, music, games, stickers and memes regardless of their location, they can also share web content and surf the Internet without needing to leave the app.
By November 2013, 100 million users had registered with Kik, and there are now nearly 200 million Kik users throughout the world since the app was first launched in 2009. The company has been backed by major venture capital investors that have also been behind the growth of Twitter and Zynga.
The app will work on all iOS, Android and Windows 7 smartphones, and was expanded to Windows, Mac OS X and Linux for PCs in August 2014. It has received over 1.5 million Facebook Likes and nearly 300,000 Twitter followers — Kik is now the number-one way to connect with social apps such as Instagram, SocialCam and Viddy.
If you are ready to get started with the next era of mobile web, then you need to know that the best place to download the app, which is free, is at the major outlets: iTunes, Google Play, Windows Phone and the Amazon Appstore. You may find other locations, but Kik do not work in partnership with anyone outside of these four companies, so they cannot guarantee that safe, authentic and updated versions are provided elsewhere.
However, before you download the app, you must be over 13 years of age – if you are between 13 and 18, you must obtain permission from your parents.
After you download the app, you must then follow the steps that are provided to register your account. To register an account, you must create your username and your password:
- As your username is your identity on Kik, it is essential that you create one that is unique, and is a combination of numbers, letters and special characters. Only the people who have your username can contact you on Kik.
- Those who you share your username with will only be able to see your first and last names, your username, and your profile picture – they cannot see your date of birth, your email address or your phone number.
- You need to provide an active email address to register, which you then need to confirm afterward. It is important to confirm your email address, as this is where the Kik team sends important updates and information, including your new password if you ever need one.
- When creating your password, it must be a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters, and must be at least 6 characters long.
If you need to change your password, you can do so within the app. The steps you follow depend on which operating system you use:
- If you have an iPhone, you need to go into your “Settings,” select the “Account” option, select “Change Password,” enter your current password, select “Next,” enter your new password, and then click “Save.”
- For Android users, go into your “Settings,” then go into your “Account,” select “Change Password,” enter your current password followed by the new password, and then click “OK.”
If you need to reset your password, visit the Reset Password site at the following URL: ws2.kik.com/p. You will then need to enter the email address that you registered with and Kiki will send you a link to enter your new password. If you cannot see the email, check your spam, bulk and junk folders, and make sure that the following Kiki email address is added to your address book: firstname.lastname@example.org (you may need the help of your email provider).
However, if you are still having difficulties, or you need further help, then you can submit a request at the online Help Center: kikinteractive.zendesk.com/requests/new. You will need your phone number and username to make a request.